People with commitment phobia need not be afraid of committing to things that do not involve other people. They may have no problem buying a house or a car or getting a dog. Their fear usually is connected with making a promise to another person. Falling in love with a person with commitment phobia can be a nightmare. Usually, commitment is related to love or relationships but this phobia can be seen in small commitments as well. They can be scared to commit to you that they will meet you outside your house at 5pm which is not a big issue at all. I wouldn’t say that commitment phobia is a kind of avoidant attachment. But the two conditions often coincide yet they are minutely differentiated.
Maybe these points can show you that are you a commitment phobic or are you with a commitment phobic. Go on…
- If you are not willing to commit to dates or nights out weeks in advance. Making plans for the future that are not strictly required is a major cause of fear for someone who suffers from commitment phobia. He will prefer to make same-day plans or commit only a few days in advance.
- He is unpredictable. You never know quite how he will behave or what kind of mood he will be in. One day he may be really sweet and seem almost normal and the next day he may avoid you altogether. His behavior never ceases to surprise you.
- Doesn’t say the L-word. People with commitment phobia have difficulties expressing their feelings. They may even be afraid of having feelings. So they are not likely to say that they love you and also mean it.
- If you are dating someone and you are terrified of meeting their parents it is definitely a sign of this phobia. Because if you love someone and wish to take it to the next level (i.e. commit) only then you will visit the family and talk about the future, right?
- It is observed that this phobia is seen mostly in men. It gets so intense that they start sweating and feeling dizzy. If you are with someone who is with you but not ready to commit, beware. It’s time you show the red flag to him babe.
- One should support the person suffering from this phobia because it is very important for them to rely on and trust someone. An understanding person can surely reduce the effect of the phobia and cure the person.
- As with any other specific phobia, Gamophobia is also caused by an intense negative experience in the past. It traumatizes the suffering individual to an extent to which s/he ‘learns’ to dread commitments. One creates negative images or movie stills in mind about marriage.
- Feeling of dread or terror at the thought of marriage. The person goes to great lengths to avoid the topic. S/he may experience uncontrollable anxiety that makes it difficult for the person to function normally.
- People who are in a committed relationship but are suffering from the fear of marriage phobia must find ways to treat it and also confide in their partners about it. Phobias can go out of control if left untreated. Needless to say, this can cause a great deal of heartache and misery to all those involved. However, there is hope that “happily ever after” is possible in a majority of such cases.
WE PROVIDE YOU SOME PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS AS WELL-
- Rapid heart rate
- chest pain, dizziness, fainting
- Sweating, shortness of breath