If you look at the current players, there is no doubt that Gayle is the most destructive player as of now. He is not just destructive but also a consistent performer. He not only scores an occasional century but also regularly scores runs at a good rate. It is his consistency which is one of his major strengths and that itself makes Gayle a dependable player for his team.
During 1987 World Cup the guy who served as a ball boy, later known as Master Blaster, god of cricket, the ultimate legend Sachin Tendulkar. made a new statement in the modern cricket with his class and technique mixed with consistency.
On a lighter note lets do some comparison between the two living legends of cricket.
- Since the first double hundred in ODI cricket scored by Tendulkar in 2010, six other double-hundreds have been scored. Out of wich three were hit by an Indian batsman, with two solely by Rohit Sharma. Christopher Henry Gayle is the first non-Indian batsman to score a double in the limited overs match.
- Chris Gayle is the most searched West Indian batsman in India and Pakistan, but apparently for both his athletic and artistic stunts whereas Sachin Tendulkar is crowned as the most searched cricketer all over the globe due to his class and contribution in cricket.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the first batsman to score a double ton in limited over match, and Chris Gayle made it first in the World Cup. Coincidentally, both faced 147 balls and went to the peak on the same day, February 24.
- The Godzilla of cricket (Chris Gayle) has made his mark by making tons in all three different international formats while the God of cricket missed out making a ton in t20 (the shortest format of cricket).
- While Chris Gayle is probably the most powerfull batsman when it comes to hitting sixes. Classic examples are the breathtaking sixes against Brett Lee (twice!) at England & Hauritz at Perth but Sachin Tendulkar proved his brilliance by squaring the boundary 360 degrees around the stump with his class and technique generated using flexible footwork
- Though defined as God of cricket Sachin missed out on scoring a triple ton where Gayle reached 333* in the 5-day format of cricket.
- The best partnership in ODI of Sachin was with Rahul Dravid of 331 runs where Sachin scored 186 runs alone. But Chris Gayle surpassed this partnership with Marlon Samuels scoring 372 which included 19 sixes and 21 fours.
- Celebrating successes for Sachin Tendulkar generally is giving thanks to his late father while Chris Gayle is famous for his entertaining his fans with his unique styles e.g. Gangnam style dance.
- Even though, Gayle has two purple caps with highest being 175* not out, yet he has not tasted the kiss of success in winning Indian domestic T20 league but Sachin did.
God of cricket or Godzilla of cricket the comparison is never ending but as the true cricket fan keep the sportsmanship alive. Post your comment below.